- 900 g beef shin, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or palm sugar
- For the marinade/dressing:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 banana shallots
- 2 green chillies
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 carrots
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 625 ml hot beef stock
- 450 g Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Thai basil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Prepare and finely chop the lemongrass and garlic cloves.
Slice the beef into cubes.
In a bowl, add the beef, lemongrass, soy sauce, brown sugar, Chinese spice, salt, pepper and garlic.
Mix all the ingredients together and marinate for 1 hour.
Line a pan with vegetable oil and brown the beef in batches.
Deglaze the pan and add shallots, green chillies and tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and stir together.
To the same pan, add carrots, star anise, kaffir lime leaves and cinnamon stick.
Pour over beef stock and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
Add butternut squash, cover and cook for 1 hour.
PAIR WITH: SHIRAZ
Rich and smooth, with juicy red berries and hints of vanilla and spice.